It’s been warm here on the West Coast lately, and when it gets warmer I crave more salads and fresh foods. My daughter asked for a mini watermelon at the store on Saturday and it was so warm that I let her get one.
As the kiddos were happily snacking on slices of juicy watermelon, I was thinking about what was going to be for dinner. I already had wild Alaskan cod thawing in the fridge. I was craving mango salad as an accompaniment to the fish, but didn’t have any mangos or red onions. So I looked around my kitchen and this light refreshing salad was born.
I apologize for the lack of photos, but honestly I didn’t think it was going to be great, until we tried it and everyone was going back for more. Live and learn— always take photos along the way. At least I got a few before it was all gone.
I hope you enjoy this simple but flavorful salad this spring and summer. I know it will be gracing our table many more times as the weather heats up. Enjoy!
- 1 Large ripe avocado, cubed
- 1½ Cups seedless watermelon, cut into small cubes
- 4 fresh mint leaves, cut into ribbons
- A pinch of fine ground Himalayan pink salt
- Add the cubed watermelon, and cubed avocado to a bowl, sprinkle the fresh mint ribbons and salt and gently stir. Serve immediately or chill for up to two hours