Yay! Its strawberry and rhubarb season! I just love the combo of sweet juicy strawberries with the tart bite of rhubarb. I made this pie last month when I found some rhubarb, but it needed a few tweaks, then I couldn’t find rhubarb again until recently. Rhubarb is back in the stores and farmers markets for its short seasonal peak, so I picked some up to work on this delicious treat again.
Note: This post contains affiliate links click here to see what that means.
I wanted to create a pie-like experience, but using real whole foods. While I love the idea of the versatility of all the new AIP flours out there my body just does not love them back. Hopefully someday I will get to the place where I can have them occasionally and not look like I’m 5 months pregnant after one baked good.
Thankfully the mighty Japanese sweet potato came to the rescue for this recipe. Have you ever had a Japanese sweet potato? No? Well let me tell you they are delicious! They have a deep purple skin and a creamy or golden colored flesh and are naturally super sweet! You will love them.
I knew the naturally sweet potato would not need much to make it a super pie topping so after a little playing around I found an amazing combination-Japanese sweet potato + maple syrup + beurre noisette ( cultured brown butter, 100% lactose and casein free) = easy, delicious, real food dessert. Best thing is it’s all made from real whole ingredients! Give it a try while the rhubarb and strawberries are still in season. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do, I will be making it again this weekend when my Dad visits!
Note: Some consider ghee and AIP reintroduction food while others allow ghee from the early stages of AIP. There is no substitute for the cultured brown butter in this recipe as it makes up the flavor profile
- 3½ Cups Japanese sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- ¼ Cup Grade A maple syrup
- ¼ Cup Beurre Noisette,this brand
- ½ Teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 1lb Organic strawberries, cleaned, trimmed, and cut in half
- 3 Cups fresh rhubarb, cleaned and cut into ½ inch pieces, (about 3 large stalks)
- 2 Tablespoon Grade A maple syrup
- zest of one orange
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, with racks in the middle.
- Place the peeled and chopped sweet potatoes in a sauce pan simmer until fork tender, drain off all water and puree with an immersion blender or food processor.
- To the blended sweet potatoes add the: maple syrup, brown butter, sea salt and vanilla, mix till combined.
- Add the strawberries, rhubarb, orange zest and maple syrup to a bowl and mix together. Place mixed filling ingredients in a deep dish pie pan or 8x8 pan.
- Add the finished topping mixture to the top of the fruit filling, spread topping evenly over the filling.
- Place pie in the preheated oven and bake for about 30 minutes or until the top is slightly golden in color.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let cool uncovered for about 15 minutes then serve.