I LOVE sweet and sour combinations, and as a kid I loved sour candy. You know the kind that are dyed neon colors and rolled in sour sugar? Well that would definitely make me feel sick nowadays, but I do still love real food that is sweet and sour.
Watermelon and lime are one of those sweet and sour combos that go great together and scream summer! This combo makes a dynamite marinade for chicken. I love how fast this marinade came together, and it yields about four cups. I used three cups as a marinade and cooked the fourth cup down to a glaze to drizzle over the chicken after it was finished cooking. I used chicken thighs in these photos but I’m sure you could use this marinade for any cut of chicken that you have on hand. This recipe was a hit with my family and I know it will be on repeat this summer in our house. Enjoy
- 2lb Boneless skinless chicken thighs (or cut of choice, cooking times will vary)
- 3½ Cups seedless watermelon, cubed
- ¼ Cup fresh lime juice
- Zest from two limes
- 1 Tablespoon raw honey
- 1 Tablespoon Chosen Foods Avocado Oil
- ½-1 Teaspoon fine sea salt to taste
- Rinse and pat dry the chicken thighs.
- Place dried chicken thighs in a 8x8 glass baking dish.
- To a high speed blender add the cubed watermelon, fresh lime juice, honey, avocado oil, and sea salt.
- Blend on high until liquefied and well combined, about 1 minute.
- Add the zest to the marinade.
- Pour 3 Cups of the marinade over the chicken thighs and marinate in the refrigerator for two hours.
- While the chicken is marinating make the sauce.
- Add the remaining one cup of unused marinade to a small sauce pan.
- Cook over medium low heat for about 20 minutes, until the sauce is reduced.
- Set aside and drizzle over the chicken when it is done cooking.
- Preheat a cast iron grill pan to medium heat.
- Place the marinated chicken thighs in the pan and cook for about 7 to 8 minutes per side. Place the cooked chicken on a platter and drizzle the reduced sauce over the chicken.
- The sauce is great on rice and cauliflower rice also. Enjoy!
You can easily use a regular grill and different cuts of chicken, adjust the cooking times depending on cooking method and cut of chicken.
2 hours of marinating time are needed